This chickpea curry is my favorite.I mean everybody I have met till today loves chickpea curry. Even kids like it.I think the texture of chickpeas entice everybody to eat them.It is just Yummy.
Whenever I have some friends at home for dinner , this is a must for me.It goes very well with rice, with any kind of bread, and chapatis.If you want to avoid carbohydrates, it can be teamed up with salad. Chickpeas provide good amount of vegetarian proteins.
These are also high in dietary fiber.Manganese, folates, copper , phosphate, proteins are present in chickpeas.Chickpeas are soaked in water prior to cooking. Soaking helps in breaking down the lectins and phytic acid present in legumes.
A teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate can be added to soaking water which further helps in breaking down the hard to digest complex sugars. Soaking makes chickpeas easy to cook.These are very hard and difficult to cook.
- 2 tbsp olive oil light
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 large onions
- 4 segments garlic
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chickpea curry spice
- 1/2 tbsp salt or according to taste
- 3 cups water according to consistency
- one and half cup chickpeas dry
- 3 green chilies optional
Peel onions , garlic and ginger. Chop onions, tomatoes ,garlic and ginger.You can use ginger and garlic paste instead.But fresh ones give better taste and are more healthy.Adding green chilies makes taste better but if you cannot bear the heat ,skip this step.
Instructions for preparing chickpeas for cooking.
- Sort chickpeas for any stones or debris and damaged legumes.
- Place in a large bowl. Wash them 3to 4 times by changing water. Cover with water at-least 2 inches above the chickpeas. They double in size after soaking.
- Soak chickpeas in water over night. Keep it in refrigerator.If you don’t want to keep them over night or just forgot to soak them, don’t panic. Just do it.Though it would be better to soak them as long as you can ( max over night).
- Add one teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate in soaking water. or you can simply add lemon juice to it.
- When you are ready to cook, drain the water and wash it several times again.
- Put them in large container.Add double water.Add one teaspoon of salt .( optional)
- Give them a boil. After it starts boiling , simmer on low heat.It will take around one hour or sometimes more.Check it for texture and simmer more if required.
- Take a pan.Heat oil.Add cumin seed.Heat till they start to splutter.It takes around 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onions.Saute them on medium heat until brown.it takes around 10-15 minutes.
- Add chopped garlic and ginger. Cook for around 5 minutes.Then add turmeric and chickpea curry masala.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Green chilies.Cook for another 10 minutes or to the point where tomatoes get mushy.
- Cool little bit and mash to somewhat smooth consistency either in grinder or with stick blender.I use stick blender by sunbeam.
- When it is done add water and put on heat again. Mix boiled chickpeas in it.
- Sprinkle some fenugreek leaves and cook further for 10 minutes.
- If you feel that consistency is bit thick add little water. If it is thin, cook for few more minutes.
SChickpea curry is ready. Garnish with some coriander leaves. I have mixed them totally in whole chickpea curry. I am not very good at decorating things but good at making simple tasty and healthy dishes.
Enjoy the curry and please tell me in the comments how you liked it.