Let us make Cauliflower potato curry
Hello everyone. Today I am sharing my favorite and easy to make cauliflower potato curry with you. We call it aloo gobhi. ( Aloo means potato and gobhi is cauliflower.) Like every recipe, you can make it how you want. Here I am sharing it how I make. This is a staple side dish in my house in the days of winter. Cauliflower is found in abundance in winter.
We celebrate Diwali in around November. We make lot of sweets. Ans this side dish is a must on that day. You know why. To counteract the sweet taste. And in my region in India, cauliflower is very expensive in those days. But however you make it, it is yum. Cauliflower is full of taste and full of nutrients.
Cauliflower potato curry ( Aloo Gobhi)
This is tasty yummy cauliflower potato curry. It can be made in single pot. It is just adding the ingredients at different stages.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium head Cauliflower
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 4 segments garlic
- 1 inch peice of ginger
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek leaves dry
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Amchoor ( Dry mango powder) optional
- 2 green chillies According to taste
- 1 medium tomato or two tbsp of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp salt according to taste
- handful of corriander leaves
You can either make it spicy or mild. It is up to you. It is delicious both ways.
Preparing the ingredients
- Cut the head of cauliflower into florets. Wash in hot water.Washing in hot water removes all the impurities like pesticides.
- Peel the potatoes and dice them. You can make sizes of your choice.
- Peel onions, wash and chop them.
- peel the ginger and either grate it or chop into small pieces.
- Remove the skin of garlic segments and cut into small pieces.
- Wash tomatoes and chop into smaller pieces. ( or if you are using canned diced tomatoes skip this step)
- Wash coriander leaves , cut and keep aside.
Procedure for cooking cauliflower and potato curry
1. Heat oil in a pan. And add cumin seeds. Heat it so that the cumin seeds start to crackle. You will start feeling the aroma coming out of the volatile oils of cumin.
2. When the cumin seeds are heated add chopped onions. Keep the heat low medium. High heat will cause the ingredients to burn. Cook onions until they change color. It generally takes around 10 minutes.
3. When you see a change in color of onions, add chopped ginger and garlic. Cook further for 5 minutes.
4. Add garam masala and turmeric, in this mixture of onions, garlic and ginger.
5. After mixing all the powdered spices, add tomatoes and cook for 5 more minutes. Here I added powdered spices at one side of the pan because my pan is a large one. I mixed the spices at one side and immediately mixed tomatoes. Otherwise the spices may burn.
6. You will see a change in the consistency and color of this semi dry gravy.
7. Add green chilies at this point. If you don’t want it to be spicy, skip this step. I like my curry to be little spicy.
8. Now it is the time for macro ingredients. Add potato cubes , salt, dry mango powder and cover the pan with lid. Cook for around 3-4 minutes. This is to make sure that when you add cauliflower, it doesn’t get mushy.
What I have seen here in Melbourne, potatoes take time to cook and cauliflower cooks in few minutes. So to counteract this, either I cook potatoes in microwave and then add to the onion garlic mixture with cauliflower.
8. Now mix cauliflower with potatoes. Also add dried fenugreek leaves at this point.Mix it properly so that all the spices get mixed uniformly with potatoes and cauliflower.
9. Cook it by covering with lid on medium heat. It will take around 10 minutes. Stir in between occasionally. You can check with the spoon if it is cooked or not.
10. When it is done, garnish with coriander leaves. I have mixed coriander leaves. Coriander leaves give this dish a fresh aroma. Coriander leaves, ginger and garlic are must for cauliflower potato curry.
Serve it with chapatis or as side dish . Eat it the way you like.
If you like this recipe, please share it.