Red lentils are tasty and nutritious. They are easy to make and less time then other legumes. There are so many variations in recipes. every cuisine have their own style and ingredients to add. Here I am sharing how I make these red lentils.
I have tendency to add onions, garlic, tomatoes in most of my savory dishes. So this is not exception. Adding a gravy made of tomatoes and onions make it irresistible.
Spicy tasty red lentils with onions and tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil or any veg oil
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 2 peices green chilies optional/ up tp you
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 /2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp fenugreek leaves
- one and half Cup Red lentils
- 2 medium onions
- 4 segments garlic
- 1 medium tomato
Preparation of ingredients
- Peel onions. Wash them and cut into small pieces.
- Peel segments of garlic and chop into small pieces.
- Remove the skin of ginger and chop into very small pieces
- Chop tomatoes.
- Wash lentils .
- Boil them to make soft. Use a large sauce pan. For boiling, if you are using one cup of lentils, add three cups of water to start with. Add turmeric and salt.
- If you feel that it is becoming dense, add more water. And check if it is done or not. If you have soaked it say for 2 hours, it is done in 15 minutes. In pressure cooker, you will need only one whistle to cook. If you cook more, it becomes mushy.
- Remove the foam on top of sauce pan. When it is done keep aside.
1. Heat a pan on medium heat. Add oil and mustard seeds. When mustard seeds start spluttering, add cumin seeds. Cumin seeds take less time to splutter. Take care of the heat. Keep it low. Otherwise cumin seeds would burn.
2.When you see cumin seeds start spluttering, add chopped onions. Stir them. Cook them on medium heat for around 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. If you will not stir them, they would burn. When you see that onions change color, it means they are done.
3. On color change of onions, add garlic and ginger, cook further for 5 more minutes.
4. Then add tomatoes. And also green chilies, fenugreek leaves. Cook for further 10 minutes. Mash the tomatoes in between with the large spoon or spatula ,whatever you are using for stirring.
5. Add coriander powder in the onion tomato mix.
6. Mix it properly.
7. Add this mixture of onions tomatoes and spices to boiled lentils. And your spicy lentils are ready to eat.
8. Eat with rice or any kind of bread. Goes very well with chapatis. Or
9. You can eat a bowl with salad. This is how I like to eat this.