Self-care is not selfish. It is taking care of of your mind, body and emotions. Different people need different self-care ideas according to their needs. I have compiled a few self-care ideas which can help you in creating your own self-care routine.
What is Self-care?
Self-care is an activity or a set of activities and habits that we do deliberately to keep our mind, body and souls healthy. There is a connection between these three and if one of them get overlooked, that balance is not maintained. This brings stress, anxiety and diseases to the human body.
Self-care is such a simple act but has a profound effect on a persons life, relationships and his/her own relationship with self.
Why is it important?
Self-care is not selfish. It is required to take care of your physical, mental and emotional health. Self-care is the key to live a balanced life.
How to practice Self-care ideas
I hope you will be able to find your self-care ideas from these self-care activities
1.Listen to relaxing music.
2. Meditate for 10 minutes daily
3. Give yourself a positive 5 minutes daily apart from a meditation where you will be thinking only positive thoughts.
4. Read a few pages of a motivational book daily.
5. Walk outside and feel the connection with nature.
6. Sit quietly and listen to the subtle rustling noises of the leaves in a breezy evening.
7. Wake up early in the morning
8. Pay gratitude each day.
9. Start journaling every day.
10. Laugh your heart out.
11. Pamper yourself as you are the most important person.
12. Take up a crafty hobby like crocheting, knitting, painting or anything you like.
13. Be mindful of anything you are doing.
14. Diffuse your favourite essential oils
15. Take a nap when required.
16. Play games like chess, sudoku to activate your brain energy.
17. Sleep for at least 8 hours and take proper rest.
20. Learn a new skill.
21. Unplug from social media for a day.
22. Declutter and organise your home.
23. Do some mindful exercises.
24. Say 5 positive positive affirmations daily
25. Avoid toxic people.
26. Surround yourself with positive people.
27. Avoid toxic habits that deplete your energy like focussing on too many negative thoughts.
28. Forgive others who have hurt you in the past. Forgiving others help you stay calm and focus on good things in life.
29. Write down your ideas on paper
30. Spend some me-time alone. It will help you introspect and get to know yourself.
31. Give your self coconut oil head massage. This is my favourite. Whenever I feel too stressed, I always give myself a head massage with coconut oil. It helps in relieving the tension and headache.
32. Intentionally set me time for yourself in your calendar and practice it without fail.
Self-care ideas to keep your body in excellent condition
33. Drink lots of water. Start your day with a glass of warm water. It will help you hydrate after night as you will need flids in the morning to detox your body.
34. Exercise daily even if it is for 10 minutes.
35. Do yoga daily. If you cannot find time daily, keep specific days for yoga.
36. Eat healthy food.
37. Totally avoid junk food.
38. Keep a morning beauty routine.
39. Create a night beauty routine.
40. Go hiking, camping or swimming.
41. Cook your food at home.
42. Go to a beach, sit there and listen to waves.
43. Eat more veggies and fruits and load your body with vitamins, antioxidants and all other goodies you can get from fruits and vegetables.
44. Sleep early and wake up early to watch the sunrise.
45. Get up and dance to your favourite tune.
46. Go to the spa and get a massage
47. Play any sport.
48. Do something you liked to do as a kid that gives you immense pleasure.
49. Eat your favourite dish you liked as a kid.
50. Enjoy a quiet cup of coffee/tea.
51. Take a warm water shower daily.
52. Give yourself the required manicure and pedicure.
Few more self-care ideas to keep your health optimum
53. Communicate your emotions to your dear ones especially the significant other.
54. Start loving your flaws
55. Help someone in need
56. Cut back on alcohol and smoking
57. Work on your personal growth.
58. Improve your communications skills.
59. Go to your favourite coffee shop and have a cup of coffee. Just watch people without any goal.
60. Go to the library and read books or magazines
61. Watch funny videos
62. Sing a song loudly and feel the rhythm.
63. Start saying no without guilt
64. Write an email or letter to a forgotten friend
65. Read a biography of a great person
66. Pay attention to your body signs when you start feeling low, get mood swings and feel tired. Learn to squeeze some me time when these signs start to appear.
67. Listen to a podcast about the topic that interest you and you want to know about it.
68. Make a plan to overcome the overwhelm. It could be a time management plan or a stress management plan.
69. Do one thing each day that makes you happy
70. Stay away from toxic people
71. Write down the thoughts which are bothering you since some time and burn them or flush them if possible. ( I saw this idea in a movie and I loved it). You will feel much better after this activity.
72. Write 5 positive affirmations and stick them in front of your bed or somewhere you will see them daily.
73. Go out and spend sometime under the sun.
74. Buy your favourite flowers just for yourself
75. Use aromatherapy.
76. Get a back massage to relax your stiff back.
77. Exfoliate your skin with a scrub.
78. Listen to the songs that remind you of childhood or happier times. This one is my favourite evening ritual. I love to listen to those songs which were released during my college time. I feel so good after listening to them.
79. Do some gardening and spend some time outside.
These are a few self-care ideas out of which you can choose what suits you best. I hope these help you in bringing back the required energy and balance between mind, body and soul.
I hope you will benefit from these self-care ideas and feel better after enjoying some of these.