Side dishes are great to accompany your meal. Incorporating a lot of veggies is important and being a vegetarian, I need to add proteins to each meal. Adding mushrooms is a great way to add proteins to your meals. Mushrooms are fungus and
Mushrooms are the fungus and contain vitamins, proteins and antioxidants. Antioxidants present in Mushrooms are
- Vitamin C
Vitamins in Mushrooms
- Riboflavin, Vit B 2
- Thiamin B1
- Pantothenic acid, B5
- Niacin, B3
Another benefit of mushrooms is fibre. It is said that mushrooms contain a good amount of fibre which is beneficial for your digestive system and people suffering from diabetes.
Now let us start with the ingredients required in this side dish
One medium Capsicum
about 5 white cup Mushrooms
One medium Potato
One medium Onion
One segment of Garlic
One green chilli (optional)
Salt : one teaspoon (according to taste
Garam Masala: half teaspoon (optional)
Turmeric: half teaspoon
Peel potato, onion and garlic. Wash them. Dice potatoes and onions separately. Wash mushrooms to remove any dirt or soil and cut them into three pieces each.
The first step is to cook Mushrooms separately. Normally I cook one pan dishes. But this one required cooking mushrooms in a separate pan. You can add mushrooms along with capsicum but mushrooms cooked in butter always have a distinct flavour and taste.
Butter and mushrooms are the best combination and aroma when you cook mushrooms in butter is ambrosial.
Instructions with pics
Heat half tablespoon of butter in a pan and melt it. Add cut mushrooms to the pan and coat the mushroom with butter by folding the mushrooms. Stir the mushrooms and cook for 5-6 minutes covering them and then stirring in between.
Keep aside the cooked mushrooms. We will add these mushrooms to our dish afterwards.
- Take a pan and add about one tablespoon of oil (you can add less if you want) and switch on the heat. It will not take much time. Less than 30 seconds to heat.
- Keep the flame low and add cumin seeds and let them crackle. You will sense the aroma as your house wil be filled with the aromatic flavours of cumin. ( keep an eye on cumin so that it willl not burn)
- At this point, when you can smell the flavours coming out of cumin, add chopped onions. Saute them on medium heat. It will take around 10-12 minutes depending on the heat. Keep stiring in between. You will see when the color of onions change. Ehen onions get cooked, they turn translucent.
- When the onion colour changes, next step is to add garlic and ginger and again saute them. This process will take 5-6 minutes. Garlic and ginger will change colour in about 5-6 minutes.
- At the point when garlic and ginger get cooked, add spices. The only spices I have used are turmeric and garam masala. If you don’t have garam masala in your kitchen, just skip it. Flavours of Capsicum and mshrooms will make this dish outstanding. Also, add one tablespoon of tomato paste. I have added store bought diced tomatoes, but you can add half diced tomato also. Cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Next step is adding diced potatoes to the pan. Also, add cut geen chilli if you are using it. Cover the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add cut capsicum and cook for around 10 minutes on a medium low heat. Stir in between and check if the capsicum is done. Add salt when it get cooked. Adding salt earlier makes this dish mushy. Because capsicum looses water. But in this dish, we want the texture of capsicum to be tender.
- Check when it is done and mix buttered mushrooms to the dish.
- This dish can serve two people but singl eperson can lso finish it( I can’t finish it in a single serve)
- Serve the dish with chapatis or with salad. You can also eat this dish with rice. Anyway, this tastes good.
Make this recipe and tell me how this went. t is easy to make just the timing of adding different ingredients make it really tasty.
Mushroom and capsicum side dish
This is an easy to make side dish which can enhance the taste of your meal. This is not something fancy but a simple dish to accompany chapatis, rice or naans.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large or 2 medium Capsicum
- 1 medium potato
- 6 No.s White cup Mushrooms
- 1 tbs cooking oil/ olive oil Any oil
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 tbsp tomato dices or dice half tomato
- 1 segment garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small hot green chilli optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric