Most of us get an upset stomach at some point. There can be many reasons for upset stomach, but when you have an upset stomach, the only thing you want is a respite from the problem. There are some easy to digest foods for upset stomach which you should introduce gradually while having a bad stomach.
My stomach can get upset easily. I can understand the problem very well and how does it feel, when you have an upset stomach.
Let us have a look at easy to digest foods for upset stomach and the reasons for bad digestion
Causes of an upset stomach
An upset stomach can be due to many reasons. Mainly stomach gets upset due to
- Stress: Stress can be a culprit causing your stomach to be upset. It is the result of the flight or fight response of the body. Stress not only affects you mentally but physically too. Your digestion gets slowed down when your body experiences stress. This causes your stomach to be upset.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy can cause major changes in the body including your stomach. Nausea, vomiting and upset stomach are very common in the early stages of pregnancy.
- Travel: Some people get motion sickness and their stomachs can get upset while travelling. I have my sister in law who cannot travel with the closed windows. So she never travels by air because she will not be able to open the windows of aircraft.
- Food poisoning: Food poisoning can cause your stomach to be upset. You may have to take medical help in such conditions. This may cause nausea, vomiting and stomach pain.
- Irritable bowel syndrome: An irritable syndrome can make you miserable if you will not pay attention to what causes your stomach to be upset. Certain foods can trigger problems in the stomach.
- Side effects of medications: Certain medications such as antibiotics can make your stomach upset. Talk to your healthcare provider if you are experiencing an upset stomach after having medication.
- Eating too much: Some people have robust digestive systems which can digest everything. But some of us have really weak digestive systems which can get upset with very little overeating. Take care of the digestive system. Some of the problems get solved by giving rest to your digestive system.
Foods for upset stomach
There are few foods which are considered to be good remedies for an upset stomach
When have an upset stomach, start with clear liquids which are easy to digest. Coconut water, clear juice, water, sports drink provides all the minerals (sodium, potassium and calcium) you might have lost during nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea.
Ginger is a natural remedy for an upset stomach. It can be due to its inflammatory properties. If you are experiencing an upset stomach, you can have fresh ginger. I know it can be difficult to eat due to its very strong flavour. The other way is to have it in tea.
You can heat some water and add ginger slices in it and cover it for a few minutes. Either you can have it as it is or you can add little honey to it. In any case, it helps. If you don’t use ginger in your diet normally, it may upset your stomach. Start with a little amount in tea and also take your tea with food.
Yoghurt is another comforting food when you have an upset stomach. Some people get an upset stomach by eating dairy and dairy products but yoghurt is easy on the stomach. The reason is the presence of live cultures in Yoghurt. These live cultures work on the lactose and break down it into lactic acid and other compounds during the fermentation process.
This makes it easy to digest yoghurt. Also, yoghurt helps in replenishing the lost microflora in the gut.
Bananas are considered great while having an upset stomach. Bananas are less irritating to the stomach. Green bananas are beneficial while having diarrhoea. Green bananas have a type of fibre known as resistant starch. This type of fibre cannot be digested by the human body so it moves through the digestive system towards the colon. While in the colon, the gut bacteria ferment this resistant starch slowly to produce short-chain fatty acids.
These short-chain fatty acids help bowels absorb more water and hence firming up the stool in the process. This effect needs more research on adults.
5. White Rice
White rice is low in fibre and high in simple carbohydrates. This type of food is actually helpful when you have an upset tummy. Start adding different food varieties as soon as you start feeling well otherwise you will loose on nutrients.
White rice has starch which also helps in firming up the stool during diarrhoea.
If you cannot eat anything due to bad stomach, try some applesauce. It is easy on the stomach as well as you don’t have to chew anything. Easy to gulp down, rich in nutrients and add bulk to stool.
7. White bread toast
Eat simple white bread toast instead of whole-grain bread. The reason is fibre present in whole-grain toast can worsen your tummy problems.
Try some fennel seeds and chew them or eat a slice of fennel with some Himalayan salt. Fennel can help ease uneasiness in your stomach.
Papaya also helps calm down the upset stomach. It contains proteolytic enzymes called papain and chymopapain which helps in aiding digestion. These enzymes help breakdown the proteins and ease digestion.
Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fibre. Make sure that you eat plain rolled oats as they can help you by providing some strength. These oats contain slow-releasing carbohydrates which are great while suffering from an upset stomach.
11. Chamomile tea
Camomile tea is considered soothing light and most flavourful. It is not only for its calming effect but also for its effect on the digestive system.
12. Dry Crackers
Dry crackers contain starch which is very helpful while having an upset tummy.
Cinnamon is a spice that is used not only as a spice but for its digestive properties also. Compounds present in cinnamon helps ease irritation in the digestive tract and helps during gas, bloating and indigestion. Cinnamon contains
It is known for its anti-inflammatory as well as antioxidant properties.